David is a trial and appellate attorney with over 18 years of legal experience. He represents businesses and individuals in business and commercial disputes, employment litigation and real estate controversies. David regularly represents clients in lawsuits, arbitrations and mediations in Massachusetts and throughout the United States. He also has extensive experience as an appellate lawyer, having argued over 30 appeals before state and federal appellate courts on a range of legal issues.
David began his legal career as a litigator with the international law firm of Mintz Levin from 1999 to 2004. There, he represented Fortune 500 companies in a broad range of business and commercial disputes.
From 2005 to 2012, David served as an Assistant Attorney General in the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office, where he represented numerous state agencies and boards in cases challenging administrative decisions. Since leaving the Attorney General’s Office, David has served as a Special Assistant Attorney General, representing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on special assignments.
David also served as a Special Assistant District Attorney in the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office, where he prosecuted criminal cases involving violent crime, drunk driving, larceny, financial fraud, and many other offenses. While at the Middlesex DA’s Office, David was the lead prosecutor in numerous trials before juries and judges.
Prior to launching Drohan Hitt & Hadas along with his colleagues Tom Drohan and John Hitt, David ran a boutique litigation firm from 2012 to 2016, where he primarily served individuals and small businesses in a variety of disputes in state and federal courts.
David received a B.A. in U.S. History from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor in 1994. He was awarded his J.D., cum laude, in 1998 from Boston College Law School. David is a member of the Boston Bar Association, the Massachusetts Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
David resides in Winchester, Massachusetts.
Obtained favorable jury verdict for technology company executive in case alleging violations of Massachusetts Wage Act by employer.
Successfully appealed court decision terminating ex-spouse’s alimony payments under Alimony Reform Act.
Successfully petitioned court for summary judgment on behalf of Thermo Electron Corp. in a multimillion dollar breach-of-contract action.
Obtained preliminary injunction against seller of large commercial real estate parcel, leading to favorable settlement terms.
Successfully petitioned court to dismiss lawsuit brought by former Executive Director of the Massachusetts Film Office against the Massachusetts Marketing Partnership.
Defeated lawsuit seeking to force Commonwealth to construct a multi-million dollar mass transit project to mitigate the effects of the Central Artery/Tunnel Project, known unofficially as the Big Dig.
Successfully represented the Massachusetts Housing Appeals Committee in defeating a challenge to the validity of a G.L. c. 40B comprehensive permit issued for the construction of a large affordable housing project.
In a case of first impression, successfully represented the Massachusetts Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission against a lawsuit challenging its authority to regulate on-line sellers of alcohol.
Represented Commissioner of Revenue before Supreme Judicial Court in case concern-ing complex calculations of interest owed to taxpayers entitled to abatement.
- Appellate Advocacy
- Administrative Law
- Business Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
Admitted to Practice
- United States District Court, Massachusetts
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Massachusetts
- United States Court of Appeals – First Circuit
- Boston College Law School, JD cum laude, 1998
- University of Michigan, BA, 1994
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers Top Attorneys in New England 2016-18. Business Litigation
- Super Lawyers Top 100 Lawyer in Massachusetts 2016
- Super Lawyers Top 100 Lawyer in Massachusetts 2015
- Super Lawyers 2014
- Super Lawyers 2013
- Massachusetts Attorney General Outstanding Team Award 2010
- Contributing Author, Massachusetts Administrative Law and Practice (LexisNexis 2015)
- Co-Author, Pro Hac Vice: Pro or Con? (ABI Journal, Jan. 2001)
- Speaker, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education – Deposition Workshop, Boston, MA (2015, 2016)
- Guest Lecturer – Written Discovery, Attorney General Clinical Program, Boston College Law School (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Moderator, 7th Annual Public Law Conference: Public Pensions: Practical Issues and Challenges, Boston, MA (Feb. 2014)
- Speaker, Fifth Annual Center for Alcohol Policy Law Symposium, Dallas, TX (Sept. 2012)